Saturday, January 17, 2009

Virtual World Research

Saw that Playstation 3 got off to a slow start with their new virtual world to connect gamers called Home. Cool graphics but X-Box seems to have sped ahead of them while they waited to get the PS3 shipped with blue ray, then Home was delayed and on it goes. With the fantastic Wii leading the pack with x-Box, I can‘t see the PS3 Home virtual world maintaining a long-term population. Google have shut down their virtual world Lively which I find no big surprise as it crashed my computer everytime I tried to launch it. Great interface but kind of pointless wanderings in neverland. I‘ll be reporting from the London-based learningtechnologies conference later this month and sure to grab some nuggets of wisdom from the following presentations: 3D Learning and Virtual Worlds, Virtual Worlds Beyond The Hype, and Enhancing Learning in Virtual Environments. Whew...
On the work front, I am investigating the possibilities of building a virtual training centre for a cool new project. So far my early research into serious business ventures into this area has produced a few interesting contenders: Forterra and Nortel‘s web.alive. Also found WebFlock 1.0 by The Electric Sheep Company. You may have noticed I did not include the usual suspects like 2nd Life – mainly because I am trying to focus on more private business focused environments that are easier to sell to management worried about privacy and security. Who knows after my research I may come back to 2nd Life or similar.

No comments: