Friday, October 24, 2008

Saba Learning 6.0 - First Look

We got a sneak preview of the new Saba 6.0 interface set for release mid-2009 (which translates as September). Is there a big difference. Yes. Is it better. Yes. I liked it especially as it definitely improves the usability and makes it how can I say more "user centric". Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. My phone won't win any prizes for its built in digital camera. But remember this is a a sneak preview as no official images are available. Saba worked with a company called HFI Human Factors International who are experts in usability for over one year to get their new User Centered Design. And they came up with a long list of things to do better. I really liked the fact they showed a slide of all items they needed to change. Also, even engaging a usability company is a major step and I admire a company that recognizes the value in taking usability seriously. The biggest change is that the old naming conventions like transcripts and my learning have disappeared. The left hand navigation vanishes. What we are left with are tabs. Very simply 3 tabs if you are just a basic user (admins and managers obviously have more tabs). If you have not bought Saba Social the My Knowledge Network is also not showing up. So what are you left with in general: My Alerts, My Events, and My Activities.
My Alerts: shows stuff to complete: such as project management course still open, etc. These Alerts can also be setup as Email Notifications.

With the My Events tab you can sort by dated events, or sort by upcoming, etc. If it is a centra event you could even join from there. You can filter what is shown by e-Meeting, Virtual Class, Face to Face Training, etc - just tick a box.

Finally, My Activities: (which Ben Willis from Saba says is the coolest feature) is being sold as the next generation of My Success Plan. They have added a coloured stop light graphic bar to each item that visually shows acquired, expired, not required, recertify, etc. Also shows percentage certified within the graphic. You can also drill down into an item and get more information e.g. language, assigned, version, duration, and view a profile of the instructor and on it goes etc.

In the next blog entry I will have some details about the new version of Saba Learning.

No comments: