Sunday, February 14, 2010

Who needs software?

I am currently looking into buying a new laptop. The burning question for me is: do I buy a powerful computer which will set me back a lot of cash or should I get the bare-bones model and save? Why even consider the bare-bones laptop? Well more and more of computing sits in the cloud not on your computer. I edit and host my videos on Animoto. I use free online image editing software. Here's a cool link to check out which reviews some really easy to use and mostly free web-based applications for image editing. My photos have a home on Picaso and Facebook. My presentation slides, excel-like calculation sheets and word-type documents live more and more with Google Docs. Why? Because its easy to access and edit them from anywhere in the world. from my laptop or iPhone or even Internet cafe. Because they are mostly free and easy to use. My email and calendar also live in the Cloud. I last used Microsoft Exchange and Outlook over 5 years ago and really have not missed them at all. Maybe this is when the Apple iPad makes the most sense. A window to the cloud.

No comments: